FIRST Mentors, are, through the kids, the key ingredient in the success of a team. The Mentors’ contribution to the success of FIRST programs and ultimately to the success of FIRST is immeasurable. The time, responsibility and expertise of a Mentor or Coach will vary but the one constant is that you are bringing something to your team that they need to learn, grow and succeed.
Who are FIRST Mentors and Coaches? Our team members say it best. A Mentor/Coach:
- Can be a person of any age, teaching others what they know
- Brings either technical or non technical expertise to the team
- Provides the opportunity for students to learn directly through experiences
- Begins as a teacher, evolves into a colleague
- Knows that Mentoring and Coaching is about inspiring and guiding
- Provides students the environment to succeed
- Is patient, supportive, enthusiastic, compassionate and available
- Remembers what’s important – it’s about the kids and they come first
Sign-up to be a mentor with NYC FIRST!