It’s never too early to discover the wonders of STEM. FIRST LEGO League Jr. introduces STEM concepts to children in K-3 while exciting them through LEGO, a brand they know and love.
Each year there is a specific theme, and students get to tackle real-world problems. Guided by adult coaches and FIRST Core Values, students:
- Build mechanized and motorized LEGO-based models.
- Create a "show-me" poster and practice their presentation skills.
- Explore challenges facing today’s scientists and engineers.
- Begin developing critical life skills, such as teamwork and collaboration.
- Participate in expositions, where they get to meet other FLL Jr. teams.
How to Get Started with FIRST LEGO League Jr?
- Contact your Local Library: Select NYPL may be recruiting for their FIRST LEGO League Jr. Teams
- Reach out to your child's school to see if there is an existing program
5 Things You Need to Know:
- Expositions run from March through May
- Anyone can coach - no technical skills necessary!
- There are 2-6 children per team
- Teams meet for one hour a week, for 12 weeks
- The cost is $149 for registration and event, and $198 for LEGO WeDo 2.0 (reusable each year).
Registration cost includes a unique LEGO challenge, workbooks for students and a guidebook for coaches.