FIRST LEGO League is a guided robotics competition, helping students in grades 4-8 and teachers to build a better future together.
FLL is built around theme-based challenges to engage youth in research, problem solving, coding, and engineering. The foundation of the program is the FIRST Core Values, which emphasizes teamwork, discovery, and innovation. Students emerge more confident, excited, and equipped with the skills they need in a changing workforce. Students get to:
- Strategize, design, build, program, and test a robot using LEGO technology
- Create innovative solutions for today's challenges as part of their research project
- Develop valuable life skills, including critical thinking, time management, collaboration, and communication, while becoming more confident
- Become involved in their local and global community
5 Things You Need to Know:
- Coaches: no tech skills required, but coaches must learn block-based coding with their team
- There are 2-10 kids per team
- Teams meet for a duration of 1-3 hours per week, for 12 weeks
- Competitions run from January through April; Registration open August through November
- The cost is $475 for registration and event, and $430 for each LEGO robot kit (reusable)
The next challenge will be released on August 1, 2020, Registration will begin then.